f r o z e n - v o d k a v6.11
31 May 2004 || Concerning trends.
Okay, I am a procrastinating biotch. You kiddies should know that by now. If you don't, you haven't been reading me long enough, have you?

In that vein, I am finally writing my assignment for The Circle. Woo! Yay!

Trends. Now, I've read a few people's entries on this topic, and I have to say, I understood the concept to be the discussion of a current trend you either love or hate, and yet, the entries have given a half-hearted list of things they like, followed by an even more half-hearted list of things they hate, or vice-versa.

That's cool, if that's how you want to do things, that's how you want to do things. However, though my entries may be late, I can assure each and every member of Pink's Circle, that my entries will have some fucking depth to them. *grins* Am I being a bitch for calling you kiddies out on this? Possibly. But then, that's why my kiddies love me, and if you're in the Circle, you just have to fucking deal with me, so HA!

But, I digress...

Trends. Trends are a pathetic attempt for society as a whole to further define and seperate the haves from the have-nots. Surely, you see this. Because once something becomes popular, once it's a trend, it becomes commercialized and merchandized, and labeled and tossed into the hottest stores in the hippest malls. I loathe trends. I mostly hate trends because I personally have a unique style, and associate with people who have unique styles, and trends have notoriously been timed [conspiracy maybe?] to bite on our styles. Who wouldn't be bitter about that?

I'm still digressing, aren't I kiddies?

You all want to know what trend I either love or hate, don't you? I hate, with a total and all consuming passion, reality TV. It started with The Real World, and for that reason, I despise MTV. Reality TV shows are helping to destroy our society. They promote idiotic ideas, exploit lifestyles, and generally turn people into slack-jawed losers. Look at the shows that are out there:

The Real World: promotes total lack of responsibility. 7 strangers, picked to live in a house [rent free], to see what happens when people stop being nice, and start being real. Because in reality, tact, decorum, and manners mean nothing. Because in reality, everyone lives in a phat crib and is handed a cushy job. Because in reality, young 20-somthings only care about getting drunk and fucking. Because in REALITY, morals are non-existant.

Survivor: Outlast, Outwit, Outplay? Whatever. Here's a brilliant idea! Let's throw a bunch of people, throw them into the most horrible conditions, and see if they can survive. But what would make it even better? I know, let's make the point of this be to show what happens when we force people to turn on each other. Show what happens to human nature when placed under extreme duress and dangle a prize under their nose. I've seen them bribed with candy bars kiddies. CANDY BARS. You know what, I have an idea for a reality show! Let's put cameras into the prison in Iraq, and see what happens there!! And then every week, the American soldiers can get together to see which Iraqi prisoner took it like a man and vote to release him! We'll even pay for therapy!! Extreme, I know, but still...where are we headed with this?

The Swan: Desperate women who feel unnacceptable to society are picked apart by plastic surgeons and put back together in a cookie cutter fashion to then compete in a beauty contest to see who is prettiest. *raises her eyebrows* Kiddies, I don't even need to insert any smart-ass comments here to show how ridiculous this show is.

The list goes on kiddies. Blind Date. Trading Spaces. American Idol. Judge Judy. The Bachelor.

Do you see what this is doing to us? Making us stupid. Making us care only about what's in it for us and who can fuck the hottest piece of ass, and how much better we can make ourselves look in comparison to everyone else.

What's the point? Why do we do it?

I'll tell you why.

Because it's what all the cool kids are doing.

<< || >>

>journal

>friends

>credits